Saturday, July 28, 2018

#Admin - A new blog, a new beginning, a new conversation on math-y topics!

Hello one and all and welcome to Math Fact-orials!

In this post, the first of this blog, I'll talk quickly about me, this blog, what I hope to achieve, and all that.

About me

I love thinking and learning and sharing what I'm thinking and learning. Most recently, I was a Hero and Featured Answer Reviewer (Algebra, PreAlgebra, English Grammar) with www.Socratic.org, with (at the time of this writing, with roughly 2 weeks of life left in Socratic):

- over 890,000 views,
- 2400 answers, and
- 700 edits of existing answers.

But since that website is currently scheduled to be shuttered mid-August 2018, I've decided to start my own Question and Answer site (i.e. this blog) that will focus on things I find important/interesting/fun/etc.

Some more things about me:

- Formerly a Certified Public Accountant (in the USA) and a Chartered Accountant (in Canada)
- Holder of a Life Coaching certificate
- Spent a few years in the US Navy as a Supply Corps officer

About the blog

While I don't want to set anything in stone (this is a living blog after all, so it will morph and change as I do), there are a couple of areas I'll tend to focus on at the start: Combinametrics (or the number of ways of doing/arranging/organizing things) and something I'll call Life Math - this will encompass things like Business Math, Budgeting, Investing, Accounting, Financing, and all those non-sexy math topics that academics tend to shun. Life Math, by its very nature, is a bit more "squishy" than academic math - there typically are more "squishy" answers than in academic math. For instance, is a 10% discount on a shirt a good discount? It might be, but then again it might not be - it's up to the reader to decide. But in these kinds of questions and answers, I'll do my best to lay out some things to think about.

I intend to right about how to approach a problem as the first part of any blog post, and then to have an "Answer Key" below, which will show the various answers with changes in the starting facts. For instance, if a shirt that costs $30 has a 10% discount (with a final cost to the customer of $27 before sales tax), the same process will work if the shirt is $40 and there's a 20% discount (with a final cost of $32 before sales tax).

Questions are very welcome!!!

If you have math questions, please do ask! Post a comment (I approve all comments) and I'll be sure to respond and write on the blog in response. No names/specific locations will be used and so don't worry about anonymity!

And I think that just about does it - so Welcome! and I hope to hear from you.

Parz

Update, 22 Aug 2018

Through editing and updating the organization of the blog, I'm hoping it'll be more useful (and easier to find the information you are interested in!). Links, labels, and subjects are all being edited, reworked, and otherwise made better. Get ready for Math Fact-orials 2.0! (or maybe just 2!... - factorials and decimal points don't get along very well...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there - thanks for your comment! It's always a pleasure to converse with someone who's interested in math.

As part of the security for this page, I've turned moderation on - so I have to look at your comment before it goes on the page (which will prevent horrible people trying to say and do horrible things here). I'll have your comment posted shortly and far more importantly a response in short order after that.

Feel free to share this page if you find it at all helpful!
Parz

Popular Posts