Thursday, September 13, 2018

#Admin - The goalposts just moved...

Hi all,

When I first started the blog back in late July, I had it in mind that I would answer questions, create content, and do the things I used to do at Socratic.org. I've been having fun doing it and plan on continuing to do so.

At the same time, however, it struck me today that through the use of definition pages and other supporting structures for the blog, something else can arise and it's that thing that I'm going to start building. It's a resource for the information age.

You see, I have often asserted that assembly line education is dumb, that teaching everyone exactly the same thing at the same time just because the child's age is x years old, just doesn't work at all  (echoing the thoughts of the speaker on a TedTalk I listened to raptly many years ago). I think that no matter what subject it is within mathematics (and probably within all of education itself), we can start with something that is of interest and move into domains that are related and help students (of all ages) be curious about math, science, and all that. For instance, if a student is really into triangles, that can lead to discussions about shape, line, area, perimeter, ratios, trig functions, graphing, and so much more. Any particular topic can lead to a whole heap of other topics.

And so that is the resource I want to build. I don't think I've seen its like in existence and perhaps I'm too naive to know that what I'm looking at building is crazy. Well... that's ok. A bit of crazy, applied long enough, can result in amazing things. Like the biggest ball of string in the world. Or a scientific breakthrough. Or perhaps, just perhaps, a useful online resource that will help index, categorize, and bring a flow to knowledge that doesn't exist yet.

I'll continue to write the blog as I start to build this new resource, so keep the questions coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there - thanks for your comment! It's always a pleasure to converse with someone who's interested in math.

As part of the security for this page, I've turned moderation on - so I have to look at your comment before it goes on the page (which will prevent horrible people trying to say and do horrible things here). I'll have your comment posted shortly and far more importantly a response in short order after that.

Feel free to share this page if you find it at all helpful!
Parz

Popular Posts