Sunday, September 9, 2018

#English - Socratic Sunday - Question on the perfect tense...

This is another Sunday and so another Socratic Sunday throwback - a question/answer I worked on from the now read-only site Socratic.org. This question deals with verb tense...

Question

"I have to clean up after him." Is this a perfect have?

Answer

No. See below for more:

Analysis:

We're dealing with simple tenses vs perfect tenses.
In a simple tense , we're told that something can occur. For instance:
I study (present simple)
I studied (past simple)
I will study (future simple)
whereas in a perfect tense, something that was ongoing is now complete:
I have been studying (present perfect)
I had been studying (past perfect)
I will have been studying (future perfect)
And I think this what the question is referring to - if the use of "have" in the sentence "I have to clean up after him" is a use of a perfect tense.
The answer is no - the verb "have" can also be used in a simple tense , such as:
I have a cold (present simple)
I had a cold (past simple)
I will have a cold (future simple)
One of the ways "have" can be used is to indicate a necessity , a need, or something that you are required to get done. This can be accomplished by using "have" in a simple way:
I have to do my homework (present simple)
I had to do my homework (past simple)
I will have to do my homework (future simple)
Or to use the wording in the question:
I have to clean up after him
I had to clean up after him
I will have to clean up after him
If the use of "have" were in a perfect tense, we'd have something like this:
I have been cleaning up after him
I had been cleaning up after him
I will have been cleaning up after him

~~~~~

Questions and comments always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there - thanks for your comment! It's always a pleasure to converse with someone who's interested in math.

As part of the security for this page, I've turned moderation on - so I have to look at your comment before it goes on the page (which will prevent horrible people trying to say and do horrible things here). I'll have your comment posted shortly and far more importantly a response in short order after that.

Feel free to share this page if you find it at all helpful!
Parz

Popular Posts