Sunday, August 19, 2018

#Admin - A bit of admin...

Math Fact-orials has been up and running for roughly 3 weeks and already been hitting milestones I didn't think would be possible so soon, including having nearly 1,000 page views!

I owe much of this success and exposure to two audiences: former users of Socratic.org (which is now a read-only site) and the art community of Sketchbook Skool.

Socratic.org is where I cut my teeth on answering questions online, where I found my love of all things factorial, and saw in action how topics such as budgets, household math, finance, accounting, and so many other topics that are important to people are ignored by academic math sites. One of my main goals is to bring household math into a place where people can use math as a tool and not regard it as a nightmarish exercise in frustration (I feel like I can hear people, whether consciously thinking or unconsciously feeling something like: "Please... whatever we do... whether we choose to buy the new car or lease it... don't make me figure out which one is actually better! Make the numbers stop dancing in my head!").

With that ideal in mind, I've been posting here and there about budgeting and will be adding a few more posts to that conversation. There are already a few posts about household finances and more will be forthcoming (both from me and from you - my readers!)

Sketchbook Skool's response to the post about the numbers of trade items and also the number of unique trades has been nothing short of phenomenal. A thousand and one thank you's to Aleesha, my artistic wife, the source of many of the questions on the blog, and the inspiration for the blog post about Sketchkon and who put the post onto Sketchbook Skool's Facebook page.

Looking ahead, I've found a way to satisfactorily put equations that look like equations onto the blog (thanks to latex.codecogs.com) and so that is what I'll be doing over the course of the next few days. I'm really looking forward to seeing math rendered the way it should look! 

I'll also keep on with Socratic.org Sunday throwbacks, where I'll grab questions and answers from a host of different topics that seemed to grip people's attention. This week's question will be Why Are Arteries So Much Thicker Than Veins?

I'm extremely grateful to my current, past, and future readership and I hope that as the readership grows and develops, the blog can do so alongside so that it is always meaningful and helpful. And the best way to help make that happen is to send me emails, leave comments, and ask questions! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there - thanks for your comment! It's always a pleasure to converse with someone who's interested in math.

As part of the security for this page, I've turned moderation on - so I have to look at your comment before it goes on the page (which will prevent horrible people trying to say and do horrible things here). I'll have your comment posted shortly and far more importantly a response in short order after that.

Feel free to share this page if you find it at all helpful!
Parz

Popular Posts