Friday, August 3, 2018

#Household math - Which is the better value? Loose tea or tea bags?

Question

There's a lovely tea shop I go to sometimes. Which is the better way to buy tea, loose or in bags? The instructions say to use 3-5 g of loose tea in a pot. Here's a photo I took to help:

Answer

Financially, under my assumptions, the tea bags are a better way to go.

Analysis

First off, and probably to the dismay of tea lovers around the world, I'm going to assume that the tea experience from loose leaves and from a bag is the same.

In order to understand the financial aspect of this question better, we need to express the tea usage in terms of servings. I'll assume that 1 tea bag is a serving and that it's equivalent to the 3 - 5 grams mentioned in the question.

I'm also going to assume that the price points on the teas are for the same categories of teas (the selections of Lesser, Medium, and More Expensive teas are the same).

Let's chart out the cost per serving:






~~~~~

As always, feel free to ask a question!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there - thanks for your comment! It's always a pleasure to converse with someone who's interested in math.

As part of the security for this page, I've turned moderation on - so I have to look at your comment before it goes on the page (which will prevent horrible people trying to say and do horrible things here). I'll have your comment posted shortly and far more importantly a response in short order after that.

Feel free to share this page if you find it at all helpful!
Parz

Popular Posts